ALASKA CELEBRATES WORLD MILK DAY
Nutrition disorders such as malnutrition and obesity are particularly rampant with children. They interfere with the child’s growth and development which could lead to serious health problems. Based on a 2008 survey of the World Health Organization (WHO), more than one in ten adults are obese. Obesity and being overweight are the fifth leading risk for global deaths. And what is alarming is that even children are experiencing overweight issues as nearly 43 million children are overweight based on 2010 WHO data.
Alaska Milk Corporation is on a continuing mission of providing Filipino families with superior and affordable nutrition. With its firm commitment of putting the benefits of drinking milk and healthy lifestyle at the forefront of consumer awareness, Alaska Milk joins in the celebration of World Milk Day starting this June 1, 2013 as we hold the first ever Alaska World Milk Day. The World Milk Day was initiated by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization back in 2001, with the objective of drawing attention to milk as a global food and builds awareness on the importance of drinking milk.
Several digital and on-ground activities are lined up for Alaska World Milk Day celebration from June 1 to June 9:
- Launching of World Milk Day PH Facebook Fanpage dedicated to the celebration of World Milk Day in the country and will feature milk 101, nutritional tips and other useful trivia on milk.
- “Look Who’s Drinking Milk?” digital advocacy campaign where photos of local celebrities and personalities drinking milk and wearing a milk moustache will be posted.
- Alaska IronKids Run will be staged June 1 at the SM Mall of Asia grounds. This race is open to children 6 to 14 years old to develop their speed, strength and agility. This is part of the three-pronged sporting event of Alaska IronKids Philippines.
- Alaska World Milk Day Booths will be set-up at various locations inside Glorietta on June 1 in a mall-wide milk sampling activity. There will also be a milk moustache photo area where mall goers can actually have their photos taken and uploaded on the World Milk Day PH Facebook site.
- Alaska World Milk Day Run on June 9, 2013 will be held at Bonifacio Global City in Taguig to cap off the celebration. On-site registration to this event can be had at Alaska World Milk Day Run registration booth in Glorietta or on-line at www.alaskaworldmilkday.com. Registration period is from May 12 to June 7.
Through the World Milk Day celebration, Alaska Milk Corporation helps encourage people across all ages to live healthy and be nutritious by making it a habit of drinking milk everyday.